VA Educational Benefits
Students who are eligible to receive VA education benefits may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):
Chapter 30 - Active duty service person / Veteran (discharged or separated service person)
Chapter 16 - Active Selective Reservist or National Guards person
Chapter 35 - Veteran's dependent (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
Chapter 31 - Disabled veteran
As the Certifying Office for VA Education Benefits, the Records Office is responsible for certifying enrollment and changes in enrollment of eligible students to the VA.
To find out more about how military credits will transfer into Minnesota State college and universities click here.
How does a student become eligible for VA Education Benefits? A student needs to apply for benefits through the VA. The VA makes all determinations of eligibility.
When can a student be certified? A student may be certified after being admitted to Rainy River and pre-registered for classes.
Are military credits accepted at Itasca as transfer credits? Yes, contact Berta Wilcox for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org / 218.285.2207 or 800.456.3996
Should a student apply for financial aid if they plan on receiving VA education benefits? Yes, the VA benefits may not be sufficient to cover all education costs. (VA students are paid benefits based on the number of approved credit hours they carry and not the cost of the school they choose to attend.)
How much will I be paid if I qualify for benefits? Your monthly benefit will be based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if you receive kickers, as well as your enrollment status. Students can be full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time or less than 1/2 time.
Steps for Applying and Receiving Benefits
If you have never received VA Educational Benefits:
- Complete an application VA for 22-1990 for Chapters 30, 32, and 1606; VA Form 22-5490 for Chapter 35 and for Voc Rehab, contact the VA regarding the application procedure.
- Attach your DD214 or NOBE
- Mail Application to the VA
- Notify the Records Office when you are pre-registered so an Enrollment Certification can be done for you.
If you have received VA Educational Benefits at another institution:
- Complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training VA Form 22-5495 for Chapters 30, 32, and 1606; VA Form 22-5495 for Chapter 35; For Voc Rehab, contact your Case Manager.
- Submit to the Records Office when you are pre-registered so an Enrollment Certification can be done for you.
RRCC’s coordinator, Barry Martinson, can be reached at 218-262-6739 (office) | 218-208-7094 (cell) or email@example.com